Thursday, March 24, 2016

Mise en scene

Actors, lighting, props and costumes are all important elements to consider in my opening shots. 
Since I plan on recreating a backstage scene at a fashion show, a lot of the costuming on the actors must be chosen wisely in order to clearly reflect their characters and positions. 
Therefore, for the make-up artists, hairstylists, and others working around, they will wear simple all-black attire. Black shoes, black pants, a black collared shirt or black t-shirt, with hair tied back in a pony tail for the females, and perhaps name-tags, too. 
The models on the other hand, will be decked out in much more intricate clothing pieces and make-up. I haven't fully decided if I want the colors to be bright and vivid with patterns, or go for darker fall and winter tones with fur and heavy jackets. I will just have to see what I can bring out of my closet and what my actors can contribute since this will be a close to no budget film opening.
 
This image (aside from it being black and white) is a good representation of the type of style of make-up and close up camera shots I am aiming for. 

I also would like to incorporate low-key lighting into my film because it is often found within the genres of horror and suspense. It has both bright and dark areas in the frame creating high contrast. This lighting would be good to use on the close-ups of faces adding final touches of hair/makeup minutes before the show is about to begin or faces that having panicking glares when they realize Vivian is gone. 
Either or, the incorporation of low-key light is good for a dramatic feel.



Works Cited:


 "Elements of Cinema." Elements of Cinema. Gabe Moura, 1 July 2014. Web. Mar. 2016. <http://www.elementsofcinema.com/directing/mise-en-scene-in-films/>.
 
Sammi. "How To Make Eyes Sparkle for Under $1." How To Make Eyes Sparkle for Under $1. 6 Jan. 2015. Web. Mar. 2016. <http://www.thebeautygirl.com/celebrity/how-make-eyes-sparkle-under-1-24404>.

 Ward, Caleb. "How Low-Key Lighting Can Instantly Make Your Film Dramatic." The Beat A Blog by PremiumBeat. 07 July 2015. Web. Mar. 2016. <http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-low-key-lighting-can-instantly-make-your-film-dramatic/>. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I really like your idea for the film I think that it' a great idea and that it will turn out great. I also like the look of your blog and it flows easily. However, your blog posts don't have a lot of information in them! The blog above is very good and has a lot of information in it, so try to base the rest of them off of this one.
    So, if you could just put more meat in the blogs that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a good idea on what you want to do and how you want it to look. The resources were well integrated and fit well with the title of the post. I wish that all your posts reflected this one. I feel like the blog lacks depth, which can be improved with more comprehensive posts. This post offers a good insight into what your costume and makeup will look like. This idea has a lot of potential. I think that the rest of your posts should incorporate a larger variety of text, images, and resources. You did a great job providing background research in this post but this aspect falls short in the others. I also think that more posts in general will help viewer (like myself) understand your process a bit more. It’s hard to fully understand the journey you are on if we don’t have a lot information to go off of. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the project and will definitely check back to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete